Thursday, June 02, 2005

Post Game Recovery

Ah the Sox game...such fun, such fun. I had a raging headache all day at work, from what? I do not know, but it made me extremely less excited to go to a work function, complete with schmoozing and get-to-know-you-better talk. I made it to the game and downed my first beer to ease the conversation (not that I need it...). The account executives came running over in droves and my bosses kept saying "they really want to meet you!" Why the popularity? Because I believe putting a name to a face is exciting, especially when you are a middle-aged man talking to a young woman on the phone for months without seeing what she looks like. Myself, along with the other young female account managers, were the hit of the party. That was quite flattering, until you see what the account executives actually look like. Then it was just humorous.

My favorite story of the night: One account executive, whom I will lovingly call Baby (because he refers to me this way on the phone- form of harassment? Perhaps, but he doesn't know what I call him after we hang up), came with his wife. Turns out they are an older couple who have only been married a year. However, they are high school sweethearts. She left him shortly after high school graduation because he had "frisky hands," and she married someone else. She was happily married for 30-some years before getting divorced and reconnecting with Baby. They seemed very happy, even taking into consideration the fact that he openly hits on many women, while his wife is standing next to him. I guess years of being a bachelor will make someone act like a bachelor his entire life? Obviously Baby has not changed much since high school if his sweetheart came running back into his arms and fell in love with the same man.

Well, now I am able to picture the account executive I am speaking to on the phone. I sort of wish I hadn't met these characters face-to-face. It was much more fun having the mystique alive. Several looked exactly how I expected and others were a crazy dissapointment. One a.e. sounded like a large man with dark hair, who could really make a presence. He turned out to be a frail old man with gray hair, who did not stand out at all. I would not have known he was there if it hadn't been for his name tag. I never did meet the notorious "Richard." Word on the street is he didn't make quota and was not allowed on the first bus of account execs. Since the second bus was for the slackers who didn't make quota, he didn't want to be associated with those people and decided not to go. Not meeting Richard is probably a blessing in disguise, as last year he stuck onto his account manager and appeared next to her after she had tried to walk away. His mystery will live on...

A good thing about the work party was that my new position was announced, but it wasn't necessarily meant to be. My boss introduced me to my current account executives by saying "you won't be speaking with her for that much longer." My a.e.'s looked as shocked as I did until she filled in the blanks. Seems I will be moving on to greener pastures...let's hope that means more money too. And who said cube jobs are boring?

I am now recovering in my cube, taking the day one step at a time and imagining my move to the other side, by which I mean my new position. Sure my cube won't be any bigger, and I will basically have the same responsibilities, but I will have piece of mind I have moved on. It's the little things that matter while living my days in Office Space.