Friday, May 20, 2005

The Streets Of Lincoln Park

[5pm, a random Friday night] While trying to do what I call "work," there was constant, loud, drunk banter simmering in one of the main intersections of Lincoln Park. It was quickly coming to a boil- voices were rising and the mingling was being taken to the next level. Believe me on this- I could hear the transition in conversation from my window- people moved from saying, "what's your name" to "I'll bet you'll stay the night here!"

Now I am not one to play the role of party pooper. I even felt a twinge to join the celebration (what the occasion was, I have not a clue). However, it was early in the evening and clearly not everyone in the vicinity of DePaul wants to immediately party when the work week ends. I began to feel anger towards these "partiers," who took it upon themselves to make their neighbors feel like sad-selves, thinking the rest of the area is letting loose. This leads to such ideas as "what the hell, its after-work time on a Friday. I should be having fun, not sitting and trying to be productive. That's what Monday is for!" [Side note, Mondays are never considered "productive days," as we all know. We get into work and think "I have the rest of the work week. I need to edge in slowly, so as not to burn myself out by Thursday." Just humor me and play along with Friday afternoon mentality] I do realize that I live in an area where 20-somethings are trying to unload a little steam at the end of the work week, but my God! The temptation was too strong and my will power, so little! Trying to concentrate was becoming impossible as the "woo woos!" got louder and louder. Oh how I longed to just relax and chill with friends. And this my friends, is where destiny stepped in. The roommates arrived home from their respective offices, making it fully impossible to do any work. I don't look at my inability to work as failure, rather as a momentary lapse in productivity. I shall resume work at a later date and not hold the partiers accountable.

Happy weekend to all!