Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Hall and Oates and I are destiny

A very odd thing happened last night. As I was listening to my new favorite work-out song, which happens to be a remix of "Out of Touch," I decided to download it on my friend's computer. Not knowing who sings the original, I simply put "Out of Touch" in the search box. Poof! The name Hall and Oates appeared. I was speechless but still grooving to the catchy rythyms of my favorite duet.

If you know me, you know I have this crazy obsession with Hall and Oates. Why? I am not sure. It just surfaced one day, but it felt like a re-birth of a past life I had forgotten. I found myself suddenly locating all their greatest hits like hidden gems (in terms of songs). I have a theory as to why I have this strange connection with Daryl and John: perhaps it is because I was subjected to hours of their music when I was both in the womb and growing up. My mother used to love 102.9, the lite station and in 1980-1981, "Kiss on My List" and "Private Eyes" were both chart toppers- played incessantly on every lite station in the country. I am positive she listened to Hall and Oates a ridiculous amount of time while carrying me. To further prove my theory, I can remember listening to their hits in the early 80's during my childhood- in the car, running errands, to and from elementary school, practices, and lessons. No wonder I love the song "Out of Touch!" It was #1 in 1984- making it no surprise I remembered the song but did not know why! Other hits from the 80's- "Maneater," "I Can't Go For That," "Say It Isn't So," "One on One," "Rich Girl" and my personal favorite "You Make My Dreams." Those are just to name a few. The list goes on. I am sure you are thinking, "how can one group of only two men create so many hits?" I ask myself that very question every time I uncover another hit.

If you've rarely listened to Hall and Oates, I highly recommend you download a couple of their songs. I guarantee you will find the duo's music classic and you will quickly become a lifetime fan. Fear not, you can still see them today! They are touring this summer. I wonder if they still have the same hairstyles as all their album covers from 1976 to 1988?