Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Fried Chicken!!!

Who likes fried chicken? Apparently everyone at my office except me and a few heart-healthy employees. It never fails- everytime we have a work party or potluck, someone orders or brings in the fried chicken. As if sitting at a desk all day long, only getting up to pee or go to the water cooler isn't bad enough, we have to make matters more unhealthy by consuming the worst food for you?

I don't personally eat the fried chicken, but I observe the people who do and it is mind blowing. Like vultures to a carcass, they feast upon the heart-choking food. I thought we lived in a fairly health conscious world- where people at least try (or want to make people think they try) to make improvements. This is blatant clogging of the arteries and a slow killing of oneself. I tried to make peace with the fried chicken extraveganzas by saying "it only happens once in awhile," but it is ordered too frequent for that justification. I just won't lie to myself.

I wish there were something I could do, to stop the fried food frenzy, but there isn't. They won't take contructive criticism seriously. I have tried to get the important decision making people to substitute with grilled chicken breasts, or to simply add a healthy punch by purchasing veggie trays and fruit platters, but they won't listen to me. It would be like asking a smoker to chew gum instead. They are addicted to the grease.