Monday, September 19, 2005

ID Cards- friend or foe?

I understand the use of ID cards and why they are so vital in protecting the security of my building. However, I do not understand this: when I had a letter to mail the other day, I [naively] thought I could go downstairs, out to the mailbox directly outside the front door, and walk back in up to my department. No go. The mailbox is visible from the security desk and any "questionable" behavior would be seen from the security guard's vantage point, yet when I asked if I would need my ID to get back into the building the guard said "yes." I explained I was only walking to the mailbox, and I pointed to physically show how far I was going. The security guard shook her head and made it quite clear I would not be able to get out of the building and expect to get back in, so I had to walk back upstairs to my desk and get my ID. The security guard was very nice though, and said she would walk out there herself but I didn't trust her to mail my letter without reading. How can I when she can't trust me to walk 20 feet?